Subdivisions and Land Developments

Initial Contact

Whether you are a private land owner wishing to subdivide and sell the back of your section, or you're a large development company dealing with hundreds of sections, we are subdivision experts who are here to help you.  We have large property developer clients who consistently use our services because of the extensive knowledge we have in this area.

When considering a subdivision it is always important to involve your advisors from the outset. Generally, the first point of contact is your surveyor who will guide you through the planning phase and create a scheme plan. A resource consent application will then need to be submitted to the local council. Once the resource consent for your subdivision has issued the actual works begin and we prepare the legal documents and terms so that once the conditions provided by local Council have been met, there is no delay in a new title issuing. We are happy to guide you through this process and will do so in conjunction with your other advisors.

We have the specialised skills and resources and we provide advice in the following areas:

  • Freehold subdivisions
  • Freeholding cross-lease properties
  • Unit Titles & intensification
  • Easements - private & utility companies
  • Boundary adjustments
  • Agreements for sale off the plans
  • Public Works Act advice and assistance with negotiations - Council or NZTA
  • Claims for title to land based on occupancy/use for long periods of time

Some recent examples of work include:

  • Large unit title redevelopments in the Christchurch CBD;
  • Residential greenfield subdivisions in Rangiora; and
  • Public Works Act matters related to the Northern/Southern motorway.

Related areas:

Construction and Development
Resource Management
Residential Property
Commercial Property and Leasing
Rural Property